Breakfast on the weekend is always something I look forward to. Not like during the week, when I inhale it while I’m still putting on some lipstick and trying to find my heels as I stumble out the door. Lately, I’ve been on the green juices four times a week, and once a week I’ll break it up with a banana smoothie. So, come the weekend, there’s nothing more that I enjoy that a nice decadent breakfast.
It’s also a nice nod to my new way of living. More balance. Less ‘all or nothing’—but more on that in another post. Here’s a concoction I came up with a few weekends ago: caramelised banana pancakes served with a salted caramel sauce. Don’t worry, it sounds hard and fussy, but it’s really quite easy. You can even use a pre-made pancake mix. And the sauce I use is Bonne Maman’s Caramel Spread available at any supermarket—and boy, I’m glad I did! It’s the best thing that’s ever graced my lips. (And quite possibly my hips!) MC
Banana Pancakes With Salted Caramel Sauce
- Make a simple plain pancake batter as you usually would, or use a pancake mix if that’s easier
- Cut small slices of banana (super thin!) and add to the pancakes as soon as you’ve poured them into the pan
- When you flip them, you’ll notice that the banana has caramelised
- Once you have a stack of five or six, you’ll need to heat the caramel spread for about 5 seconds (I did it in the microwave)
- Place a large tablespoon on the top pancake and sprinkle with sea salt
- Roll the pancake up and watch the caramel sauce ooze out!
IT’S ALL ABOUT THE DETAILS,
Art direction, styling and photography by MsCritique